Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Cococut Flour Cake



I tried my hand at the coconut flour today and am really pleased with the results.
Here's the original recipe from SCD_recipe_creators yahoo group:
Ellen's Coconut Flour cake (advanced food on SCD):
6 eggs
1 stick butter, melted
1 tbl. vanilla
1 cup coconut flour
1 cup honey
1.5 tsp. baking soda
Mix extremely well (I put in in my Kitchen Aid mixer for several minutes). Pour into well-greased cake pan, preferably lined with parchment on the bottom (can be hard to get out otherwise). Bake at 350 until lightly brown (I think it was about 30 minutes).


I replaced the butter with ghee, and I added some powdered cardamom to mask the taste of the coconut flour. I forgot about the parchment paper (I won't the next time!).

The tip about mixing extremely well in a Kitchen Aid mixer can't be understated. I beat the mixture for about 5-7 minutes.

The resulting batter looked like this:

As you can see, I am not using a cake pan, I don't have one (!).

I put this in the oven at 325F. At around 25 mins I got a little nervous, because the cake looked brown around the edges but didn't seem to be done yet in the center. So I reduced the heat to 275 F let it bake for 10 mins (at 275 F).
Turned the oven off and let the cake sit there till I got back from a kid-pickup-and-dropoff (about 20 mins).




And... Voila. Here's my perfect pound cake...that earns a high rating from S.
The coconut taste is reasonably masked by the cardamom (especially when its warm), but starts to make its presence felt when it is eaten cold.

I am sure that some coulis (without sugar) made from blueberries or raspberries would be perfect.

I can't wait to see if I can figure out how to layer some lemon curd (from yogurt cheese and lemon) or other fruit to dress this up to make it birthday party-worthy!





No comments: