Monday, June 11, 2007

Apple Muffins

OK, so I tried out the almond flour muffins/breads recipe from Elaine's SCD book. the bread looked fine from the outside but was not cooked on the inside. It was grainy, and tasted pretty bad when it was cold.
For someone whose only baking accomplishment so far has been banana bread, attempting baking for the first time the SCD way "cold turkey" was quite an adventure.
So... I first went to the local store to buy a baking tray, turned to scdrecipe.com and tried out the apple muffin recipe. I wasn't very organized, found out I didn't have any almond flour at the last minute, and had to make a trip to whole foods first while I had the egg and applesauce beaten and waiting in a bowl!
Despite all the tamasha, this recipe worked out very well. Muffins are moist, don't fall apart. Mainly, Sanjay likes them (for now!)
Update: The muffins are a snack staple, so I tried this out with pear sauce and 1 whole diced apple. This worked beautifully, the muffins are moist and keep very well.

http://www.scdrecipe.com/recipes/r_029_00353.php

Here's the original recipe with my notes:
APPLE MUFFINS [printable version]
Ingredients

1/2 cup melted butter - I used 1/2 cup casein-free ghee

1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce

1/4 cup honey (or to taste)

1 cup nut flour - I used almond flour

2 eggs - I used large brown eggs

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 large peeled apple, diced - I used 1/2 of a large apple

cinnamon to taste - I skipped this, I didn't have cinnamon handy

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

2. Mix melted butter and applesauce.

3. Mix in remaining ingredients except apple and cinnamon.

4. Stir in diced apple.

5. Pour batter into lined muffin pan and sprinkle cinnamon on top.

6. Bake for 23 minutes, or until tops are light brown.

7. Makes 16 muffins.

No comments: