Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Chicken crockpot soup

It has been tough trying to introduce Sanjay to meat. He does not like the texture - at least of the meat that I have tried so far.
It is hard for me too - I am vegetarian, have no idea what meat tastes like and don't particularly want to get started right now. I also cook completely by feel, and usually taste what I am cooking to adjust the seasonings... so that makes it harder.
This weekend DH made a trip to WF and bought a variety of meats - boneless chicken, ground turkey, and some beef too. All very bewildering.
We made a trip to the store to get a the George Foreman grill - at least that tells us that it takes 8 minutes to cook X meat, so we know when to stop :-) I was a little uncomfortable handling the meat, but DH seemed to know what he was doing, so we're doing the team-cooking thing for now.
Day one, we used up a little ground turkey, and added it to my usual veggie soup. Put on sanjay's favorite video, and literally forced the thing down. He wasn't super thrilled but finished the bowl without too much of a fuss.
So many mysteries... how do I know when meat is cooked? What kind of meat do kids like? Does meat have its own flavor and taste? Is it salty? I am sure there must be a "basics" book out there for newbies like me.
But I'm rambling. I tried out a chicken crockpot recipe.... Sanjay is not crazy about it, but he'll eat it.

1/2 cup boneless chicken, diced and cooked (I cooked it for 8 mins in a covered pan)
1 diced onion
1 chopped tomato
1 zucchini
1 carrot
cilantro
3-4 cloves
1 pc ginger
small cinnamon stick
salt
chilli pdr 1 tsp
turmeric 1 tsp
cumin 1 tbsp
3 cups water or chicken broth (I used water)

cook for 8 hrs (overnight)

Blend into a thick soup.

No comments: