Monday, August 13, 2007

Almond Milk

One of the things we had given up when we moved to SCD was the Pacific brand Almond milk - it had a couple of SCD illegal additives like rice bran syrup.

This weekend I made a trip to Ranch 99 in search of young coconuts and ended up coming home with a Soy Milk Maker. (tayama DJ-15A). I paid about $40 for it and used it to make almond milk.
I used dry slivered almonds (I will probably pre-soak raw almonds, take the skin off for subsequent use).
It was pretty straightforward and is a good backup to the goat yoghurt smoothie that S is getting tired of these days. makes about a jugful (about 3 glasses). S was OK with all the supplements in it, though it tasted a bit chalky to me.
I bought some clear and delicious Orange Blossom Honey from the farmer's market in Mtn View and used a spoonful to sweeten the milk.

I've seen reviews on Amazon that says that the maker doesn't last for very long, so we'll see how it goes.

Update 9/24/2007
The only part of the nut milk maker I'm using now is the fine-mesh stainless strainer! I'm using the time-honored way of making nut milk: soak almonds in hot water, peel the skins, and grind finely in the Vita-mix, strain, add hot water as needed.

No comments: