Monday, August 13, 2007

Non-nut muffins

From pecanbread...

I take a large cooked
acorn squash and put the squash and two eggs in the blender with a
tablespoon of honey and a dash of cinnamon (these could be
optional). I blend it until it is smooth. I put a tsp. of this into
a mini muffin pan. I just bought 2 "24" muffin pans for cheap at
Target and I already had one, so I make more than one batch and
freeze some to last us through the week. One batch usually makes
about 60 little "squash buttons" as we call them at our house. I
bake them at 300 degrees for about 30 to 40 minutes. I usually look
for them to be browning a little and pulling away from the sides of
the pan. You could probably fill the cups a little fuller, but then
they are softer and mushier in the middle. The way I do it they come
out like flat little buttons, and they aren't too eggy or soft which
he would not eat. He eats them cold or I toast them in my toaster
oven. These are great finger food snacks I send to school with him
also. They could be made with butternut squash too. I am planning
on trying to make little spinach ones also, I'm not sure if he will
eat them since they will be green, but I'm going to try. We haven't
started with the nutbutters or nut flours, so I am trying to find
ways to give him the bread type things in other ways. Hope this
might be an option for you.

No comments: